- Priest Humberto Álvarez presides over a Mass for children in Ojo de Agua, in Saltillo, México, with a robe decorated with images of superheroes.
- With Superman, Batman or Spider-Man in his outfit, the pastor tries to attract the attention of minors.
- Álvarez also uses a water pistol, around which there is a rosary of wood, with which holy water shoots.
- The use of the plastic pistol came after the shootings in Saltillo, sparking fear among the inhabitants. The pastor received a toy as a gift from a child and when he uses it notes: I love shooting, but with blessings; receive this sign of the holy water.
- The priest, who belongs to the city movement #YoSoy132, first used the superhero robe during a Mass in 2012.
- Before he did it, he thought about it a lot, because he knew that not everyone would see it as a good decision.
- The young priest, who was born in 1972, has received some criticism from the faithful for wearing jeans, shirts and shoes; but he has attracted children and adults to Sunday Mass.
- He says he chose Batman and Superman because their stories are about attitudes of struggle and strength and overcoming fears. Photo: AFP
Priest Humberto Álvarez presides over a Mass for children in Ojo de Agua, in Saltillo, México, with a robe decorated with images of superheroes.