- Controversial impresario and former Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi once again has the spotlight on him as the infamous Karima El Mahrough, better known as "Ruby Heartbreaker," testified in one of the numerous lawsuits currently facing the also owner of AC Milan. Photo: AFP
El Mahroug was in court for the first time to give testimony on behalf of Berluscioni regarding allegations of abuse of power and prostitution of a minor.
- "Ruby" had been called to give testimony in recent weeks but did not show up. Afterward, it was revealed that she was in Mexico on vacation. Photo: AFP
The Moroccan temptress arrived at the Milan courthouse accompained by her boyfriend and lawyer, Paola Boccardi, as captured by the hoardes of television crews which are covering the scandal.
- Ms. Heartbraker was called to give testimony only by Berlusconi's defense, as the prosecution has stated that she is not a credible witness. Photo: AP
- In their opening statement, Berlusconi's lawyers asked for the case to be suspended until after the Italian elections because "Il Cavaliere" would not be able to make himself accessible. Photo: AFP
- The presiding judge, Ilda Bocassini, sad Berlusconi was not a candidate for president in the upcoming elections, February 24, 25, therefore had no impediment to showing up. Photo: AFP
The judges are deliberating on the request of Berlusconi's lawyers and will make a decision today.
- The case involves the events of May 27 and 28, 2010 when it is alleged that police received a call from the then prime minister asking for them to free the Moroccan who was being detained on robbery charges. Photo: AP
That call, according to prosecutors, constituted an abuse of power as the chief of government used his position to pressure the authorities, something Berlusconi says he did to avoid a diplomatic conflict with Egypt, as he though she was the niece of then Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak.
- During the same time frame, prosecutors also allege that Berlusconi paid for sex with the then 17 year old on three occasions from February to May 2010, including when she was invited to several of his private parties. Photo: AFP
- For her part, Ruby has always maintained that Berlusconi never touched her and that the money she received was only a result of his genorosity. Photo: AP
Controversial impresario and former Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi once again has the spotlight on him as the infamous Karima El Mahrough, better known as "Ruby Heartbreaker," testified in one of the numerous lawsuits currently facing the also owner of AC Milan.